Wednesday 16 October 2013

Review: Lost In A Good Book by Jasper Fforde

UK cover art

A couple of weeks ago when my frenzy of book buying/reading/borrowing began I realised with horror and delight that I still had half of my favourite literary series to read. I quickly became obsessed with Jasper Fforde's book after a recommendation from my best friend. Shortly after I read every Jasper Fforde book in my local library. The problem was that they didn't have all of the Thursday Next series and so I only read half of it (and in non-chronological sequence). Thanks to Waterstone's I found two and the missing books that I was looking for. Lost In A Good Book is somewhat jumpy and spasmodic. BookWorld detective Thursday Next  (a pleasingly strong and rare female protagonist) moves from Great Library, to the opening of Great Expectations, to The Raven by Edgar Allan Poe. The idea is endlessly fantastical and represents a high-point of fantasy fiction. A female James Bond-style main character hunting criminals within the pages of nineteenth and twentieth century classics? Come on..... who wouldn't want to read that?

US cover art

Carpe Diem xx

No comments:

Post a Comment